As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
RC planes are the most interesting type of toys you can get, simply due to the fact that they are easy to fly and they are designed for people who like making amazing stunts in the air. At the same time, they are perfect for individuals who like flying fast with their amazing toys.
The market is filled with a wide variety of models but we decided to start you up with some of the cheap RC planes so anyone who in interested in learning rather than showing off could have access to these devices.
A great fact about these models is their flying capabilities. These units are based on the latest technology and they come with the latest features. Despite the fact they are more than just affordable, they are a great choice and they can put a smile on your face.
As mentioned, there are different models but all of them are based on the same principle and all of them can reach amazing speeds in the air. At the same time, this fact makes them incredibly interesting, but a bit complicated for beginners.
A useful fact is that all the planes from our list can be used by beginners, simply due to the fact that they are easy to control and they have additional features that make controlling even easier. In any case, these planes offer a lot of fun, and most of them can be used outdoor and indoor. But using them outside has a lot of advantages, including the ability to reach max speed.
Top 5 models: Best RC drones for little money
#1: Top Race Cessna C185
Top Race Cessna C185 is the most affordable RC plane you can get. It is based on the latest technology and it offers amazing capabilities. At the same time, it is ready-to-fly, which means that you can use it as soon as you get it.
Even better, this unit is easy to control and it comes with a feature that makes flying easier than with other units of this type. Keep in mind that all of this costs only $23, so it is a perfect toy at the same time. The unit comes with additional lights, so flying when the visibility is bad is more than possible and it will look amazing in the air.
The unit is made from lightweight materials, but they are durable. Keep in mind that it isn’t very resistant, due to the fact it is very lightweight, but it can withstand smaller damages. In addition, repairing this unit can be done at home, due to the fact that it has a simple design and it is made from conventional materials. The dimensions are 9.4 x 8.9 x 5 inches and the weight is only 12.8 ounces.
Beside amazing quality, for the price, you get an amazing flying time. This plane can stay in the air for 12 minutes and the charging lasts only 20 minutes, so it is going to be ready to fly quickly, which is perfect for owners who want to fly a few times per day.
In addition, it comes with a simple controller, so this unit is more than just easy to fly and it offers a stable flight, so it is a great choice for beginners and experts at the same time.
Like this amazing product? Then you can check its price on Amazon.
#2: Wltoys F949
This unit is another great choice, simply because it costs $46 and it comes with all the features you may need. It is based on the latest technology, so it is easy to fly and the manufacturer claims that it is perfect for beginners and intermediate users, so it can be used by most people.
It is made from durable materials, so it can withstand rough landings and smaller impacts, but it isn’t extremely resistant to these issues.
This unit measures 21.5 x 9.2 x 5 inches, which means that it isn’t a small device, and the weight is 1.2 pounds, so it isn’t very light as well. However, it is capable of amazing stunts in the air and it comes with a 200 meters range, so it can be controlled from a large distance. The top speed is amazing as well and it is about 20 mph, but it may depend on the weather conditions.
In addition, this unit is a real replica and it looks amazing, so it is the best way to impress your friends and make them jealous. At the same time, it is a lot bigger than similar units from the same price range.
The electric motor is powerful and it can offer amazing stunts in the air and impressive flying capabilities. In general, this product is a great choice that has to be taken into account, if you are looking for a cheap, but great RC plane.
If you think that this product could be useful for you, then you can buy it on Amazon.
#3: HobbyZone Duet RTF
HobbyZone Duet RTF costs $60, so it is another affordable RC plane that comes with amazing features. It has two rotors, so it is more interesting that other products of this type and the design is amazing as well.
On the other side, it is easy to fly, it comes with amazing features and it is based on the latest technology. Keep in mind that it is made from durable and lightweight materials, so it isn’t very resistant, but it can withstand some minor issues.
The battery that powers the rotors is 150mAh, which means that it is based on the latest technology as well, so it offers a long flying time and it requires just a short period of time in order to be recharged.
Keep in mind that this isn’t a small RC plane, as the dimensions are 19.8 x 19.2 x 5 inches, so it is treated as a larger unit. On the other side, the weight is 2.2 pounds, so it isn’t the lightest as well. However, these specifications don’t have a negative effect on the flying capabilities and you can learn to fly it in a matter of seconds.
The most important addition to this unit is the fact that it comes with an option that corrects minor mistakes and errors, so it can stay in the air for a longer period of time and it is safer to. In any case, this addition makes it a perfect choice if you are a beginner and this is your first RC plane.
If you like this product you can find and purchase it on Amazon.
#4: E-flite U2980 UMX Radian
This RC plane is almost two times more expensive than other models we compared, but it comes with additional features. The most important one is related to the materials used during the building process.
Some components are made from the carbon fiber, so this unit is far more durable and resistant than other products, especially those from this price range. At the same time, this makes it more resistant to damages and similar issues, so this unit is going to last longer than other products. All of this means that the price of $90 isn’t too high and this unit is a wise investment.
The design is a special factor that has to be taken into account simply due to the fact that this unit is much better and far more interesting than other similar devices. The dimensions of the unit are 31 x 10 x 4.3 inches and the weight is 4.4 pounds so it is bigger and heavier than most other planes in the price range.
At the same time, it offers amazing flying capabilities and it can be used for amazing stunts in the air.
The battery that powers the electric motor is 150mAh 25C Li-Po and it is based on the latest technology as well. As the end result, you get a long flying time and it can be charged in less than 20 minutes.
Like this amazing product? Then you can check the current deal for it on Amazon.
#5: HobbyZone 4480 Sport Cub
This model costs $100, so it is almost two times more expensive than similar devices. However, for this amount of money you get an amazing RC plane that has a classic design ad it is different than most products from this price range. On the other side, it is well-made and it comes with the latest features that make flying easier and far more interesting.
In addition, it offers different modes, so it is a great choice for beginners and experts. In any case, this model is capable of staying in the air for 12 minutes and it has a powerful electric motor, so it is quick. The battery that powers the unit is a Li-Po model so it can be recharged in a matter of minutes.
The dimensions of the unit are 21.8 x 21.5 x 5.8 inches and the weight is 6.9 pounds, so it is a big and heavy RC plane. Despite this fact, it is capable of interesting stunts in the air and it offers a higher level of maneuverability. This addition makes it perfect for people who like flying and making amazing stunts in the air, with their RC planes.
As aforementioned, it comes with additional features so it is very safe and easy to fly as well. However, this unit doesn’t come with a transmitter, so it cannot fly as soon as you get it.
Like this amazing product? Then you can check its price here.
What is an RC plane and what are the main benefits?
An RC plane is the smaller replica of an actual airplane, so it is more interesting to fly and it offers amazing flying capabilities. A great addition to these units is the fact that they can reach amazing speeds and they are very lightweight, so making amazing stunts in the air is a real pleasure.
They are usually designed for fun and for people who love airplanes, so they are perfect toys and presents for the passionate. If you are one of them, you will like reading our article about what RC planes are and how to fly them.
You should know that RC planes are very different from drones, and they are usually made for different applications. The most popular drones at the moment are quadcopters, but the differences between them and RC planes are huge. For instance:
- A quadcopter has 4 rotors, while an RC plane has just one or two
- The flying capabilities are very different and RC planes are easier to fly and they can reach higher speeds
- Quadcopters are made for a specific application, while RC planes are made especially for fun
- RC planes are lightweight and they can make better stunts in the air
- Most RC planes come without a camera so they are not designed for aerial photography, while most quadcopters come with cameras
- RC planes are made from durable and lightweight materials, but they hardly come with components that are made from aluminum or carbon fiber. On the other side, most quadcopters come with these advantages
- RC planes are more affordable than quadcopters, due to the fact they have a simpler design and they are made on a different principle
- Quadcopters can carry a load, while RC planes cannot, due to the fact they are lighter and have less powerful electric motors
Who should use these RC planes and for what purpose?
The main application for RC planes is simple fun. They are not designed as professional units, so they cannot be used in professional applications. On the other side, they are treated as the best toys on the planet, due to the fact that they are simple to fly and offer amazing capabilities in the air. However, if you are more interested in professional models, then we suggest checking out our article about the best RC plane models.
Keep in mind that these units are also very affordable, and all of them are designed for beginners and professionals, at the same time. In addition, these drones come with amazing features that have the goal of making an RC plane safer to fly and easier to a pilot to avoid some obstacle and stay in the air.
Most RC planes have smaller components, so despite the fact they are amazing for children, they shouldn’t be used by children under age 14. What’s more, most manufacturers and suppliers recommend this age limit when it comes to drones as well.
Keep in mind that the situation is different for each product, so this factor should be taken into account if you are looking for an RC plane that is going to be a perfect gift for your child.
RC planes can be used indoor and outdoor, but they are not a great choice to use them inside a house, due to the fact that they can reach high speeds, so the impact with a wall or some furniture will be more powerful. Most of them, are resistant to smaller impacts and can withstand rough use, but none of them will withstand a direct smash with a wall.
Buying guide: Important features to consider
When it comes to RC planes, some features are mandatory, while some are treated as great additions. In any case, the best unit should have all of the features below due to the fact that they can make it a lot better and more durable, so it is going to last longer.
The features that are more important than you may believe are as follows:
- The materials. This is the most important factor that has to be taken into account due to the fact that it dictates the use and the possibilities of the unit. Keep in mind that the most planes of this type are made from heavy-duty plastics but some models come with components that are made from carbon fiber. They are the best choice, simply because they are the strongest.
- Flying capabilities. Most units of this type offer impressive flying capabilities, but some of them are made for beginners and they are not capable of making amazing stunts in the air or for something similar.
- The flying time. No matter which product you choose, the flying time is mandatory. Most units offer up to 15 minutes of flying time.
- The battery. The battery is an important component of each RC plane, so it has to be taken into account. In this case, you should pay attention to the charging time and the flying time. Luckily, most drones come with the latest batteries, so they can be recharged under 20 minutes. This is a benchmark and it should be taken into account as well. The latest models usually have these batteries, so they are the best choice. On the other side, older models come with older batteries, so they require a few hours to recharge. They are not a great choice simply because it limits their use.
- Controller. This is the biggest mistake most people make, due to the fact that they don’t pay attention to the controller. Make sure your unit is easy to control and it comes with the latest controller, simply because it means that it comes with the latest possibilities and the latest features. In this case, you should get a model that is easy to fly, so you can get all the benefits it has to offer.
- Auto stable technology. This feature isn’t mandatory, but it can make flying easier, so it can be a better choice if your unit has it. It means that a unit will make certain adjustments which will help you stay in the air and make flying simpler and better at the same time. In any case, it should be taken into account, if you are a beginner. The latest models can correct smaller errors made by the pilot, so they are an even better choice.
- The range. Due to the fact RC planes can reach high speed, the range, in which they can be controlled is important as well. This means that you can control your unit on longer distances, so a range of 200 meters is more than enough.
- The size. RC planes come in different sizes, so they can be used indoor and outdoor, but only if you get a smaller unit. Larger units are designed especially for the use outdoor, so they have a longer flying time and they can offer better-flying capabilities. The size depends on a price as well, so smaller units are usually more affordable and they are designed for beginners. On the other side, larger RC planes are more expensive and they are designed for outdoor use.
Not sure what model to buy?
RC planes are a great addition to your life, simply because they are interesting and they can offer a lot of fun. They are fast, they offer long flying time and they are based on the latest technologies, so they even look amazing. Even better, they come in different shapes, sizes and with different advanced features, so there is a unit for every individual.
On the other side, some of them come with certain drawbacks as well. Now you get an opportunity to see the pros and the cons of the aforementioned RC planes.
- In general, these devices are quite easy to fly
- Long flying time
- Amazing maneuverability in the air
- Materials are lightweight but durable
- All of these drones are more than just affordable
- They can reach high speed
- They can withstand smaller impacts and damages
- A feature that corrects the mistakes of the pilot and helps you stay in the air
- They don’t have a camera in their build
- Some models are fragile and easy to damage
- These products require a lot of space to land
RC planes are a perfect gift to somebody or to yourself, due to the fact they are very interesting and can make your life more interesting as well. In any case, they should be taken into account as the best and the perfect toys that are a great addition to the children as well.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.